This is a blog of ongoing projects starting with: 1) Antarctica -Dec. 2006 - February 2007 2) Work made from the experience 2008 3) Nevada Feb. - Oct. 2008
Friday, December 29, 2006
Otherwise known as bonxies are scarily large, and very aggressive when their nests are threatened, as we discovered when we headed up to the high point of Anchorage Island.
At this point the birds dive bombed us in earnest. At first there would be the swoop of wings just above the head, then they got bolder and we got whacked hard with their wings, and one point I was literally slapped across the face. Birds would come in low, aim at the head, bank and rise and come in again; several at a time and making a yowling noise like a dog.
In Scotland they tie a stick up above their heads and the birds go for that. A good idea because what we experienced was straight out of Hitchcock's 'The Birds'!
However it has to be said that a wing is a soft thing and it would have been worse to have been raked with beaks or feet. We survived and headed back to the boat with the prized shrimps. Then back across the bay for lunch. Minke whales were spotted off the peer not long after we landed.
- ► 2011 (33)
- FRIDAY 29TH. ANCHORAGE ISLAND
- THURSDAY 28TH. ORCHAS IN THE BAY
- SANTAS GROTTO AND AN ELEPHANT SEAL
- Summer Solstice
- Ice in the bay
- camping out and training on ice
- Saturday 16th, On the glacier above the base
- FRIDAY 15TH JCR DOCKS AT ROTHERA
- Thursday 14th into Vanadsky and on through loose p...
- Thursday 14th, Through the Neumayer Chanel
- WEDNESDAY 13TH Annes Birthday - Coctails on the mo...
- KING GEORGE ISLAND Wednesday 13th
- Elephant Island
- DRAKES PASSAGE
- BLACK- BROWED ALABATROSS
- KING PENGUINS
- PENGUINS ON THE FALKLANDS
- THE JOURNEY DOWN
- ▼ December (19)