This is a blog of ongoing projects starting with: 1) Antarctica -Dec. 2006 - February 2007 2) Work made from the experience 2008 3) Nevada Feb. - Oct. 2008
Friday, December 29, 2006
FRIDAY 29TH. ANCHORAGE ISLAND
I am just considering what I might do today when I bump into Tim on the stairs. He asks me if I want to come out with him to Anchorage island - if so be ready to go in 10 minutes.
I grab cameras and some warm clothes and head for the boat hut where we don full immersion suits and life jackets - both a struggle to put on in a hurry. then we climb down into the inflatable boat and 4 of us are off at speed across the bay, dodging bergs - referred to as growlers, as that is what it sounds like if you hit even a small piece of ice. We land next to a bay packed with 30 or so elephant seals, who grunt and snort, but otherwise ignore us. Tim and I land and we head up the hill with white plastic tubs, to his fresh water ponds where he hopes to replenish his supply of shrimps.
Unfortunately the ponds are situated on the rocky spine of the island where several hundred pairs of Skuas are nesting. For the first hour the Skuas content themselves with half hearted attempts to dive bomb us. Tim collects Shrimps, I make a rock cairn, which I photograph and dismantle. The Skuas watch and cackle. They are very large birds with a long hooked beak.
- ► 2011 (33)
- FRIDAY 29TH. ANCHORAGE ISLAND
- THURSDAY 28TH. ORCHAS IN THE BAY
- SANTAS GROTTO AND AN ELEPHANT SEAL
- Summer Solstice
- Ice in the bay
- camping out and training on ice
- Saturday 16th, On the glacier above the base
- FRIDAY 15TH JCR DOCKS AT ROTHERA
- Thursday 14th into Vanadsky and on through loose p...
- Thursday 14th, Through the Neumayer Chanel
- WEDNESDAY 13TH Annes Birthday - Coctails on the mo...
- KING GEORGE ISLAND Wednesday 13th
- Elephant Island
- DRAKES PASSAGE
- BLACK- BROWED ALABATROSS
- KING PENGUINS
- PENGUINS ON THE FALKLANDS
- THE JOURNEY DOWN
- ▼ December (19)